Five Handy Cockroach Prevention Tips For West Palm Beach Property Owners
May 29, 2020
Cockroaches are one of the more unsanitary pests out there. While it’s true that they cause a great deal of contamination, they do have a lot of history as well. Cockroaches date back 320 million years, meaning they are extremely resilient pests that don’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, cockroaches are one of the most primitive living insects we know of, and there are around 4,000 species alive in the world today.
To identify these pests, here are some of the basic characteristics you should know:
- Body - broad, flattened abdomens with six long longs
- Color - reddish-brown to dark brown
- Features - two large eyes, two ocelli, and two long antennae
- Head – small in size, covered by a hard exterior
- Mouth – directed down and backward
- Size – about as large as a thumbnail, sometimes larger
Depending on the species, of course, their appearances may differ slightly. For example, some cockroaches have wings and others do not. Some cockroaches have distinguished markings down their back, while others do not. No matter what their specification may be, one thing they all have in common is the threat they pose to your health and well-being.
As cockroaches travel around your house, they leave a trail of feces, saliva, shed skin, and other unsanitary elements. The allergens in the droppings, as well as contaminants they carry from one place to another, can lead to a long list of adverse health conditions and serious diseases, including:
- Viral diseases
- Typhoid fever
- E. Coli infection
- Parasitic worms
You may be wondering how these unsanitary nuisance pests even get inside of your home in the first place. When cockroaches infest your home, they’re looking for three things: moisture, food, and shelter. To gain access to these three basic needs for survival, they can get pretty sneaky about finding entry into your home. Once they get in, they cause widespread contamination which can be extremely harmful to human health. That is why prevention is key.
Here are five handy tips for effective cockroach prevention:
1. Cockroaches are notorious for sneaking into small cracks and crevices. They make entry points in the foundation, exterior walls, space under doors, around windows, vents, and torn screens. Make sure to apply weather stripping around windows and doors, repair damaged screens, and install door sweeps.
2. Cockroaches are often brought inside with deliveries, used furniture, cardboard boxes, potted plants, or appliances. It’s important to inspect all items before allowing them inside to avoid exposing your home to potential cockroach infestation.
3. Since these pests come inside seeking sources of water, it’s important to address any moisture issues around the house. Fix leaky pipes, faucets, and downspouts. Install dehumidifiers in humid areas. Utilize vent fans and other methods to reduce excess moisture.
4. Eliminate easy access to food sources. Don’t leave any food out, pet food included. Store your food in sealed, air-tight containers. Keep your household appliances clean, and wipe up messes and spills as promptly as possible.
5. Keep your property as clean as possible. Eliminate any clutter around the house. Sweep beneath the stove and fridge, and vacuum the floors regularly. Take out the trash routinely, and store it outside in a sealed bin.
While all of these preventative tips can be extremely helpful in deterring cockroach activity, none of them are 100% effective. The most reliable way to protect your property from cockroach infestation is to contact the professionals at Native Pest Management.
Our dedicated team of pest experts is highly trained in the comprehensive detection and elimination of cockroach activity. We are ready to keep cockroaches out of your West Palm Beach home all year long. Protect the health of your family and loved ones, and give us a call today. We will get your initial inspection on the calendar and get started right away with the best pest protection available in West Palm Beach.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Mike M. was amazing! He was very diligent and he explained everything! I have had another gentleman come here and offer the same service. This company is great and their employees are very informative, friendly, and I am thankful for the customer service they provide! Thanks for everything, Mike!