West Palm Beach Termite Prevention
Termites in South Florida are an ever-present threat to properties in West Palm Beach. We have a wide variety of termite species, and we have the most destructive termites found in the entire United States. If you aren't proactive about termite control in West Palm Beach, termites can feed on your property for years and literally eat you out of house and home. Here are some tips to help you prevent termite damage.
Termite Prevention Tips
The most destructive termites are subterranean termites. They live in the ground (subterranean) and come up from the ground to feed on your home. If you have wood sources in your yard, or buried under the ground in your yard, you'll invite these termites to come in close.
- Never bury wood in your yard.
- Dig up and remove wood sources that have been buried in your yard.
- Get rid of stumps and logs.
- Repair rotting fences and decks.
If you have wood-to-soil contact, this can attract termites. This might be wood on your home that is touching the soil. It might be the legs of a deck that go down into the soil. It may be the posts of a fence. Check all the structures on your property and make sure all the wood is above ground.
Subterranean termites are drawn to yards that have damp ground. It is important to quickly address moisture problems. Moisture can also lead to wood rot, which is highly attractive to termites.
When drywood termites come into your yard, they can get into your home through gaps, cracks, and holes. Subterranean termites may also use entry points to go from the soil to the wood of your home. If they do, they'll create shelter tubes that might be noticeable. Do an inspection of your exterior, especially around doors and windows. Seal any entry points you find. If you notice shelter tubes, break a piece off and check back in a few days. If the tube has been repaired, you have an active termite infestation.
One of the most important things you can do to protect your property is inspect your property annually, and always keep an eye out for the warning signs of termite activity.
- Shelter tubes: These tubes are made of mud and can be found on your foundation walls and on hard interior surfaces.
- Wood damage: Drywood termites may cause damage to hardwood building materials or objects in your home that are made of hardwood. Subterranean termite damage is much more difficult to detect. You'll need to look in dark, damp areas near the soil.
- Swarmers: When a termite nest matures, swarmers are created. These are winged insects. They are dark colored and their wings are much longer than their bodies.
- Wings: A swarm doesn't last for more than about 30 minutes. If a swarm appears and dissipates, the shed wings of the swarmers may be your only sign. Look for these on the ground, on surfaces, and in spiderwebs.
- Sounds: Termites may cause clicking noises inside wood. These noises are faint and hard to detect. If clicking sounds are noticeable, it is evidence of a serious infestation.
- Hollow wood: Tapping on thick timbers can help you detect termites. If wood sounds hollow, it is likely that there are tunnels within.
- Frass: Subterranean termites keep their feces inside their tunnels, but drywood termite push their feces out. These hard pellets, along with insect parts, may be found on your window sills and at the base of your exterior doors.
Professional Termite Protection
There is no better way to protect your West Palm Beach property from pests than to invest in professional pest control. If you have questions about how termite control works, contact Native Pest Management. We use the most trusted products and the most reliable strategies to prevent termite damage. We'd be happy to discuss options and guide you in selecting the right pest control solution for your specific needs. Reach out to us today to get started. Don't let termites feed on your property for years. Eliminate those silent destroyers even as they come to eat your West Palm Beach home.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Mike M. was amazing! He was very diligent and he explained everything! I have had another gentleman come here and offer the same service. This company is great and their employees are very informative, friendly, and I am thankful for the customer service they provide! Thanks for everything, Mike!