Do you know that there is an ecosystem around your West Palm Beach home? It is a bug-eat-bug world out there. Flies come into your yard to see what's in your trash. Spiders come into your yard to eat the flies. Wasps buzz around in your yard looking to eat the spiders. Dragonflies come into your yard to eat the wasps. There are many ways one pest can lure another pest to your home. Today, we're going to talk about the systemic problem whiteflies can present when they target the vegetation around your West Palm Beach home and how whitefly control can provide many benefits that reach far beyond simply eliminating whiteflies in West Palm Beach.
Understanding The Issue Of Whiteflies
Whiteflies aren't as much flies as they are a type of aphid. Like other aphids, these insects feed on plants and excrete honeydew. When they suck the juices out of your plants, it is bad for your plants in three ways:
- It sucks the nutrients out.
- It introduces disease.
- It causes the leaves to become yellow.
The honeydew produced by whiteflies on your plants will create other issues. This is where we start to see the ecosystem mentioned above.
- Honeydew causes fungus to develop, and fungus can damage your plants.
- Honeydew is a highly sought-after food source for carpenter ants. This can lead to an infestation of carpenter ants in the wood of your home.
- Honeydew is a food source for other pests that can get into your home and invade your stored foods.
- Some ant species that are attracted by honeydew will work to keep beneficial insects, such as ladybugs, from eating the aphids.
Benefits Of Whitefly Control
You Get Wide-Reaching Control Of Several Pests
When you invest in ongoing control of whiteflies on your property, you get control of other pests as well. This will help you protect your property and your health while you're protecting your plants.
You Don't Waste A Lot Of Time, Energy, & Money
There are many tips and self-help videos on the internet that can send you in the wrong direction. This can be frustrating and draining. It is far better to have a licensed professional address whitefly control.
You Don't Have To Think About It
Life gets busy in West Palm Beach. Who has time to battle whiteflies, carpenter ants, argentine ants, fungus, plant disease and other issues that can arise from a whitefly problem? When you invest in West Palm Beach lawn care and whitefly control you can put this problem out of your mind.
What You Can Do
If you only have a few white flies, or you don't have a whitefly infestation yet, there are some things you can do to protect your landscaping. Let's start with prevention.
- When you purchase new plants for your landscape or garden, check under leaves for the presence of white flies. They are tiny yellow insects with white, moth-like wings. It is also a good idea to isolate new plants for one to two weeks. This can prevent eggs from hatching in your landscape vegetation or garden.
- Remove organic debris from your exterior. Whiteflies can use most rotting organic matter to reproduce.
- If you have a greenhouse, make sure that all the screens on your greenhouse are in good working condition, and that all gaps, cracks, and holes are sealed.
If you're finding whiteflies on the underside of leaves in your landscape or garden, there are a few things you can do.
- Drive whiteflies away with water from a hose.
- Remove leaves from plants that have been damaged by whiteflies.
- Remove plants that repeatedly get attacked by whiteflies.
- Install reflective mulch in your landscaping to repel whiteflies.
How To Get Started With Whitefly Control
If you live in West Palm Beach, contact Native Pest Management. We offer lawn care and pest management services throughout West Palm Beach. Our licensed professionals can guide you toward the right solution for your needs, whether it be for the care of your landscaping and lawn, for ongoing pest control to protect your home. We use Integrated Pest Management to manage the ecosystem around your home. Connect with us today to learn more or to schedule service.