The Secret To Keeping Mosquitoes Away From Your West Palm Beach Lawn
January 7, 2021
Donating blood can be safe, and it can be life-threatening. It all depends on who is drawing your blood. If a trained medical practitioner draws your blood using a sterile needle, there shouldn't be any complications. But, if a tiny mosquito, on the other hand, draws it, then here is a risk you could get very sick. Here are a few things you should know to keep dangerous mosquitoes from biting around your West Palm Beach property.
What Are Mosquitoes
There are over 200 documented species of mosquito in the United States. Male mosquitoes are not blood-feeding pests and live on a diet of nectar, aphid honeydew, and plant juices. Females are equipped with needle-like mouth parts, which they use to draw blood. Female mosquitoes use the blood they gather to provide nutrients to their eggs. Although they are not water pests once fully grown, all mosquitoes start in the water, first as eggs, then into larvae growing into adulthood. For eggs to hatch, the water they are in has to remain undisturbed for their gestation length, which can be anywhere from five days to several months, depending on the season.
How To Reduce Mosquito Populations On Your Property
Mosquitoes only need two things to breed on your property — blood, and a source of still water. The more you limit their access to these things, the fewer mosquitoes there will be. To start, consider these simple tips.
- Pour out water that has collected in items around your property.
- Make sure your gutters are clear and working properly.
- Eliminate other sources of water buildup around your property.
- Change the water in birdbaths and ornate pools at least once every four days.
- If you have a pond, stock it with mosquito-killing fish.
Keep in mind that mosquitoes don't just breed on your property; they breed on your neighbors' properties as well. Unless you convince your whole block to work to prevent mosquitoes themselves, there is no way to achieve complete control.
The Best Way To Keep Mosquitoes From Biting Your
If you can't fully eliminate mosquitoes from your property, you should at least know how to keep these pests from biting you. Consider these simple prevention tips to reduce your chances of being attacked by one of these blood-feeding pests.
- Wear lighter colored clothing.
- Do not wear shorts or tee shirts outdoors.
- Avoid going outside during dusk and dawn
- Avoid dense mosquito areas such as swamps and marshlands.
- Apply mosquito repellent before going outside.
- We should also mention that the heat you put off, the carbon dioxide you breathe out, and certain blood types also attract mosquitoes. Unfortunately, there is often not much you can do to control these attractants.
A Better Way To Handle Mosquitoes
There is no way to prevent mosquitoes 100%, but there is a solution that comes close. With professional mosquito control, mosquitoes won't land on your property because anywhere they try to land will be treated and this results in their quick death.
At Native Pest Management, we use In2Care Mosquito Traps to handle mosquito problems around properties. This intricate system handles mosquitoes at their source and defends large areas around where the traps are installed. We also offer mosquito, fogging treatments, and natural control options.
Give our team a call today or message us through our website to discuss your options and find one that best fits your individual needs.